Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pleep Contemplates The Reality Of Santa

Pleep and crew have been very patiently awaiting Christmas.  When Peggy put out the snowman Beau gave her years ago, Pleep started reminiscing about the old days.  When the boys were very young and living in New York or London, Peggy often went to spend Christmas with them.  One year, everyone, including the boys' friend Nicholas,  went to Your Name Is Mud to paint special Christmas pieces.  Beau did a snowman and Harry did a candlestick.  

During the painting, the talk turned to Santa and a debate as to whether he was real.  Peggy said, "Of course he is real and he even gave me coal one year!"  This comment sparked a lot of questions and concerns.  Peggy explained that it happened when she was very little and living with her grandparents.  On Christmas morning, she went downstairs to see what Santa had left.  The Heidkamp tradition is always to look in the stockings first and start with the youngest.  There were only 2 kids at the time, Peggy and Tim.  Tim's stocking was filled with nice toys and treats.  Then it was Peggy's turn - she only had coal!   Of course, everyone wanted to know what she had done to get coal.  Peggy said, "I don't know.  I think I may have said a number of bad words."   Nicholas concluded, "Yes, Santa must be real.  No parent would give their kid coal!"

Pleep is a bit worried that his monkeybutting behavior might result in coal or worse in his stocking.  He thought drafting a letter to Santa in support of his case would be a good idea.  He decided Harry's essay was the best example ever and he would use it as a good example.  He also thought it would be good to share with others who might be in the same situation as he is. Finally, he thinks this is further proof that there is a Santa because Ida would NEVER have bought Harry a dog on her own.





Harry
12/15/07
Have I been good this year?
English

The Best Kid
By Harry Parker

Dear Mom and Dad,

            Did I not deal with surgery well?  Haven’t I been working hard to get good grades?  Are you not impressed by my determination?  If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then you should get me a dog.  I should get a dog because I have been doing the dishes, extremely well I might add.   I have been nice and helpful to you and my friends; plus I’ve worked hard so I can be in the seventh grade math class.
            You know how often I do the dishes. I’m always working my hardest to meet your standards. You only have to remind me once get the dishes done well and I never complain about how many pans you use. I always work harder than my brother, don’t I?  I work so hard at the dishes it must mean I deserve a dog.
            Whenever you ask me to do something don’t I do it without fussing? I’m helpful to everyone who needs me.  I do my chores without you asking.  If my friends call and need something don’t I use my time to help them?  I’ve done extremely well helping you and my friends so don’t I deserve a dog?
            This year you really wanted me to advance into the seventh grade math class.  In response to your request, I worked extremely hard in math class.  When I did get bumped up and found I was confused , didn’t I go in and ask for clarification from Mr. Moore?  I did an amazing job transitioning from sixth grade math to seventh grade math.  So, I ask again, don’t I deserve a dog?
             Unlike the past, I wasn’t screaming before my surgery; I just took it like a man.  I have been working so hard lately to get good grades.  Isn’t my determination just brilliant?  Since the answer to all of these questions is yes, I should get a dog.  In summary, I do the dishes well; I’ve been kind to you, my brother and my friends, and I’ve worked hard in the seventh grade math class.  I’m the best kid I know, so don’t I deserve a dog?
Pleep, Harry & Oscar relaxing
Anxiously awaiting your response,

Harry Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment