Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Think Where Man’s Glory Most begins And Ends, And Say My Glory Was I had Such Friends

The title from today’s post is aptly from Yeats. I have been blessed in family and friends my entire life. Travel can bring out the best or the worst and I’ve been fortunate that it’s always been the best.  This most recent adventure was a remarkable trip and wonderful to be able to spend time with my sister, her sister-in-laws, and sisters from other mothers.  

Sunday was a departure day for the Mississippi/OK girls as they needed to head to Dublin for their flights out Monday. It was a good thing their departure wasn’t until 2:00pm as the group was definitely under the weather following Saturday’s last day together celebrating.  The weather remained perfect so Faye, Ida and I had a good morning doing the Long Walk along Galway Bay thru Salthill. The swans were out in great numbers and the locals were all out biking, picnicking and playing.  The rest of the crew was in recovery mode but rallied to at least have coffee in the lounge before their driver showed up. It was a great end to the trip and we’re looking forward to reconvening in the states over the summer.

Faye and I both celebrated Roger (Ida’s brother-in-law) & Ed’s memories.  They were two extraordinary men called home much too soon. Ed and I were fortunate to have been married, worked and traveled together for nearly 30 years.  He and Roger shared good times in Mississippi, Florida and Chicago.  They both shook their heads more than a few times at the antics of the Heidkamps and the Heidkamp women in particular.  

Ed particularly loved our trips to Ireland. Ed, we raised the parting glass to you in several of your favorite pubs plus several new ones.  I’m certain our staying out and getting nuts would have made you shake your head.  I’m also you would have stayed out with us just to make sure we didn’t fall into a hedgerow on the way home.  

Suaimhneas Siorai Air Ed & Roger





No comments:

Post a Comment